- "One Dimensional Random Walk of a Synthetic Small Molecule Towards a Thermodynamic Sink", A G Campaña, D A Leigh and U Lewandowska, J Am Chem Soc, 135, published online 14 May 2013.
- "Tetrameric Cyclic Double Helicates as a Scaffold for a Molecular Solomon Link", J E Beves, C J Campbell, D A Leigh and R G Pritchard, Angew Chem Int Ed, published online 6 May 2013. [VIP paper]
- "Induction of Motion in a Synthetic Molecular Machine: Effect of Tuning the Driving Force", J Baggerman, N Haraszkiewicz, P G Wiering, G Fioravanti, M Marcaccio, F Paolucci, E R Kay, D A Leigh and A M Brouwer, Chem Eur J, 19, 5566–5577 (2013).
- "Template synthesis of molecular knots",
J-F Ayme, J E Beves, C J Campbell and D A Leigh, Chem Soc Rev, 42, 1700-1712 (2013). Featured on the cover of Chem Soc Rev.
- "A scalable synthesis of 5,5'-dibromo-2,2'-bipyridine and its stepwise functionalization via Stille couplings",
D M D'Souza, D A Leigh, M Papmeyer and S L Woltering, Nature Protocols, 7, 2022–2028 (2012).
- "Pentameric Circular Iron(II) Double Helicates and a Molecular Pentafoil Knot",
J-F Ayme, J E Beves, D A Leigh, R T McBurney, K Rissanen and D Schultz, J Am Chem Soc, 134, 9488-9497 (2012).
- "A Three-Compartment Chemically-Driven Molecular Information Ratchet",
A Carlone, S M Goldup, N Lebrasseur, D A Leigh and A Wilson, J Am Chem Soc, 134, 8321-8323 (2012).
[For a highlight of this paper see: 'Ratcheting up to a molecular motor' JACS Spotlight, June 2012.]
- "A Small Molecule That Walks Non-Directionally Along a Track Without External Intervention",
A G Campaña, A Carlone, K Chen, D T F Dryden, D A Leigh, U Lewandowska and K M Mullen, Angew Chem Int Ed, 51, 5480–5483 (2012). Featured on the cover of Angew Chem Int Ed.
[For highlights of this paper see: 'On the right track' Nature Chem, 4, 430-431 (2012); 'Walk on by: The light at the end of the track' D Bradley, SpectroscopyNow, 15 May 2012; 'A Two-Legged Molecule' Angew Chem Int Ed press report, 24 April 2012.]
- "Half-Rotation in a Kinetically Locked Catenane Induced By Transition Metal Ion Substitution", D A Leigh, P J Lusby, A M Z Slawin and D B Walker, Chem Commun, 48, 5826-5828 (2012).
- "A Rotaxane-Based Switchable Organocatalyst",
V Blanco, A Carlone, K D Hänni, D A Leigh and B Lewandowski, Angew Chem Int Ed, 51, 5166-5169 (2012).
- "Second Generation Specific-Enzyme-Activated Rotaxane Propeptides",
A Fernandes, A Viterisi, V Aucagne, D A Leigh and S Papot, Chem Commun, 48, 2083-2085 (2012).
[Selected as a Chem Commun "Hot Article" 2012]
- "A Synthetic Molecular Pentafoil Knot",
J-F Ayme, J E Beves, D A Leigh, R T McBurney, K Rissanen & D Schultz, Nature Chem, 4, 15-20 (2012).
Full Article. News & Views. How it works. Hologram.
Featured on the front cover of Nature Chemistry issue 1, 4 (2012).
[For highlights of this paper see: 'One-pot pentaknot (N&Vs)' M. J. Hardie, Nature Chem, 4, 7-8 (2012); 'Molecule tied in pentafoil knot' Chem & Eng News, 89(45), 25 (2011); 'Single molecule ties its way into famous knot' New Scientist, 7 Nov 2011; 'Edinburgh atom weaving could strengthen plastic' BBC News, 7 Nov 2011; 'Scots team weaves way to stronger plastics' The Scotsman, 7 Nov 2011; 'Scots breakthrough could lead to creation of stronger plastics' The Herald, 7 Nov 2011; 'Molecule ties itself in a complex knot' Science News, 29 Dec 2011; 'New technique holds promise for lighter, stronger plastics' Eureka magazine, 7 Nov 2011; 'Atom weaving breakthrough hailed' Yahoo! News, 6 Nov 2011; 'Chemists create world’s most complex molecular knot' R&D magazine, 7 Nov 2011; 'Weaving atoms into star-shapes can produce stronger plastics, say Scots scientists' Daily Record, 7 Nov 2011; 'Scientists hail atom-weaving breakthrough' World News Australia, 7 Nov 2011; 'Des noeuds dans les molecules' (in French) La Recherche, Jan 2012, p15; 'Knot too shabby' The Scottish Sun, 7 Nov 2011; 'Mary Erskine and Stewart's Melville Junior School P6C "Positive People" Nomination', 14 Nov 2011; Radio interview with Professor Leigh BBC Radio Scotland, Newsdrive, 7 Nov 2011; 'Knotted molecule' Chem World, Dec 2011; 'Cutting-edge chemistry in 2011' Chem World, 20 Dec 2011; 'Image of the Year' Diamond Light Source, 21 Dec 2011; etc.]
- "Strategies and Tactics for the Metal-Directed Synthesis of Rotaxanes, Knots, Catenanes and Higher Order Links", J E Beves, B A Blight, C J Campbell, D A Leigh and R T McBurney, Angew Chem Int Ed, 50, 9260-9327 (2011).
- "Active Metal Template Synthesis of a Molecular Trefoil Knot",
P E Barran, H L Cole, S M Goldup, D A Leigh, P R McGonigal, M D Symes, J Wu and M Zengerle, Angew Chem Int Ed, 50, 12280-12284 (2011).
Featured on the cover of Angewandte Chemie, issue 51, 2011.
[For highlights of this paper see: 'Combining coordination chemistry and catalysis to tie a knot by an active-metal template strategy' C Romuald and F Coutrot, Angew Chem Int Ed, 51, 2544-2545 (2012).]
- "A Single Synthetic Small Molecule that Generates Force Against a Load",
P Lussis, T Svaldo-Lanero, A Bertocco, C-A Fustin, D A Leigh and A-S Duwez, Nature Nanotech, 6, 553-557 (2011).
[For highlights of this paper see: 'Manmade Molecular Machine Goes To Work' Chem World, 22 Aug 2011; 'Measuring the Force of a Single Synthetic Small Molecule' Nanowerk, 26 Aug 2011; etc.]
- "Phosphorus-Based Functional Groups as Hydrogen Bonding Templates for Rotaxane Formation",
R Ahmed, A Altieri, D M D'Souza, D A Leigh, K M Mullen, M Papmeyer, A M Z Slawin, J K Y Wong and J D Woollins, J Am Chem Soc, 133, 12304-12310 (2011).
- "Sulfur-Containing Amide-Based Rotaxanes and Molecular Shuttles",
A Altieri, V Aucagne, R Carrillo, G J Clarkson, D M D'Souza, J A Dunnett, D A Leigh and K M Mullen, Chem Sci, 2, 1922-1928 (2011).
- "En Route to a Molecular Sheaf: Active Metal Template Synthesis of a Rotaxane with Two Axles Threaded through One Ring",
H M Cheng, D A Leigh, F Maffei, P R McGonigal, A M Z Slawin and J Wu, J Am Chem Soc, 133, 12298-12303 (2011).
- "IR Spectroscopy on Jet-Cooled Isolated Two-Station Rotaxanes",
A M Rijs, E R Kay, D A Leigh and W J Buma, J Phys Chem A, 115, 9669-9675 (2011).
- "Bimodal Dynamics of Mechanically Constrained Hydrogen Bonds Revealed by Vibrational Photon Echoes", P Bodis, S Yeremenko, J Berná, W J Buma, D A Leigh and S Woutersen, J Chem Phys, 134, 134504 (2011).
- "Walking Molecules",
M von Delius and D A Leigh, Chem Soc Rev, 40, 3656-3676 (2011).
[For a highlight of this paper see: 'Synthetic Strollers', S Everts, Chem & Eng News, 89(12), 43-45 (2011); 'Walking in the nanoworld', M Gross, Chem Ind, 10 Oct 2011, p20-22. Top 10 most highly accessed Chem Soc Rev article March 2011.]
- "An AAAA-DDDD Quadruple Hydrogen-Bond Array",
B A Blight, C A Hunter, D A Leigh, H McNab and P I T Thomson, Nature Chem, 3, 244-248 (2011).
[For a highlight of this paper see: 'Attractive Arrays', A J Wilson, Nature Chem, 3, 193-194 (2011).]